Monday, April 28, 2008

Stupid Kid Tricks

Well, Big Brother, my 14 year old son, has been having trouble lately with doing things before he thinks (typical 14 year old boy). Today he was mad that I was making him show his work in Pre-Algebra course. He is a good math student and it has come very easy to him. I know that he will have to show work when he takes Algebra at co-op next year so I wanted to get him used to it this year. He was being stubborn and took his book to copy. I let him go do that because I knew that it wasn't going to make any difference because he was still going to have to copy the problem and show the work. What I didn't count on was that he was going to think sticking his middle finger into the hole of a cast iron reloading set up that we had to move into the downstairs' living room when we put in a new window in the back hallway this weekend was going to be a good idea. The finger went in well, but didn't come out. He was complaining that it hurt and that is was getting cold.
The reloading set up was connected to a small stand and the hole was on the top, so the blood was rushing to his finger, making it swell. I tilted the table over and unbolted the piece from the table. I then held the piece upside down (holding the solid metal shaft that is designed to go into the hole his finger was in) trying to get the blood to drain out and shrink his finger. I got mineral oil (we had tried baby lotion and soap already) and poured it by the finger. Finally it came loose enough and popped out. I was not fancying calling the doctor to tell him that my son was a real redneck and that I was coming in with a reloader stuck to his middle finger. I wonder if he said "Hey Y'all watch this" before he did it????

No comments: